- Al Barkouli, PhD, PE, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer
- R.A. Plummer, III, PE, AICP, Executive Vice President
- Marcus McGarity, CPA, Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Cindi Polychronis, JD, Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer
- Mark Borushko, Vice President
- Mark Miner, LEED AP, Vice President
- Jeff Whitson, PLS, Vice President
- Mark Petrie, PE, Vice President, Triaxis Division
- Craig Sheahan, PE, PMP, LEED AP, Vice President
- Gina Starkey, Vice President
Al Barkouli, PhD, PE
Chairman, Chief Executive Officer
Al is the chairman and chief executive officer of DEA and its parent company, David Evans Enterprises, Inc. Al’s Ph.D. in Leadership and Change complements his understanding of the engineering, architecture, and construction industry. With 28 years of civil engineering and project management experience, Al has served as principal-in-charge and managed projects ranging from highways and light rail to roads and bridges for numerous public-sector clients, including Bonneville Power Administration, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, TriMet, and Washington County, Oregon.
Al leads DEA’s executive leadership team and serves as the champion of the firm’s strategic initiatives, including mergers and acquisitions, organizational and cultural change, and exceeding client expectations.
Al is an alumnus of Portland State University’s Engineering School. He joined DEA as an engineer-in-training in 1988, and then advanced to a professional engineer and project manager, engineering discipline director, and office manager of the firm’s largest and flagship office in Portland. He later served as chief operating officer and president. Before joining DEA, Al worked for Washington County, Oregon.
- Registered Professional Engineer in California, Oregon, and Washington
- American Council of Engineering Companies of Oregon
- Portland State University Foundation Board of Trustees
R.A. Plummer, III, PE, AICP
Executive Vice President
Transportation Business Unit General Manager
As a certified planner and a professional engineer, R.A. brings comprehensive transportation expertise to DEA’s largest business unit. He has overseen or led numerous challenging transportation projects including the Denver Union Station Transportation Hub for the Denver Regional Transportation District (RTD), I-70 East Environmental Impact Statement for the Colorado Department of Transportation, and the MAX Bus Rapid Transit Program Management Oversight project for the City of Fort Collins, Colorado. R.A. also serves on the executive committee for the innovative Workforce Initiative Now (WIN) program for RTD and is the Chair of the Legislative Council for the Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO). For transportation professionals located in 23 of DEA’s offices, R.A.’s leadership style emphasizes truly understanding clients’ desired outcomes from a technical, political, and public relationship perspective.
Before joining DEA, R.A. worked at AECOM, where he was a vice president and transportation district manager for 11 states in the western United States.
Registrations and Education
- American Institute of Certified Planners
- Registered Professional Engineer in Colorado, Montana, Nevada, Utah, and Washington
- University of Colorado, MBA
- Colorado State University, BS – Major: Civil Engineering, Minor: Construction Management
- American Planning Association
- American Public Transportation Association
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Conference of Minority Transportation Officials
- Institute of Transportation Engineers
- WTS Colorado Chapter
- American Road and Transportation Builders Association
Marcus McGarity, CPA
Chief Financial Officer
A certified public accountant with a Master of Business Administration degree, Marc is responsible for the firm’s finance, accounting, and information services groups. He is charged with optimizing the effectiveness of DEA’s accounting and finance functions, guiding the firm’s Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP), directing compliance with governmental accounting requirements, coordinating banking and financing relationships, tax planning, and overseeing preparation of financial statements. He is also the chief financial officer, treasurer, and corporate secretary for David Evans Enterprises, Inc., the parent company of DEA. Before joining DEA, Marc was the chief financial officer of a 400-person engineering and architectural firm.
- University of Houston, MBA
- University of Houston, BS – Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant, State of Texas
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
Cindi Polychronis, JD
Senior Vice President
Chief Administrative Officer
As chief administrative officer, Cindi leads four of DEA’s corporate groups—risk/legal, human resources, communications, and records management—as well as the administrative staff in DEA’s 20-plus offices. Cindi is the executive project manager of several strategic initiatives for the firm, including restructuring the organization to align with changing market needs, and enriching and better synchronizing the firm’s culture with its strategy. She is also responsible for DEA’s sustainability and organization development programs, and is the firm’s chief ethics officer. Cindi is a member of DEA’s retirement committee and deferred compensation committee. She also serves as a member of the Board of Directors for David Evans Enterprises, Inc., the parent company of DEA.
Before joining DEA, Cindi led the human resources function for a professional services firm consisting of the largest veterinary medical practice in the world. She also led the human resources group at a hospitality company in the western United States.
Registrations and Education
- Licensed Attorney in California, Oregon, and Washington
- Santa Clara University School of Law, JD
- Northwestern University, BA – History and English
- Oregon State Bar
- State Bar of California
- Washington State Bar
- Society for Human Resources Management
Land Development Business Unit General Manager
In the land development market, accountability to developers’ budgets and schedules is key. It is this level of accountability, together with the creative vision required to design vibrant communities, that Mark exemplifies and imbues in his staff of engineers, surveyors, landscape architects, planners, and construction managers who serve developers in the residential, commercial, and institutional markets. Mark has a unique appreciation for the interests of developers and the desires of tenants and buyers. With more than 30 years of experience as a land development principal and as a consultant, Mark has managed the planning, entitlement, design, and development of thousands of acres of land, ranging from small infill sites to mixed-use projects to large master-planned communities.
Before joining DEA, Mark served as chief operating officer and vice president of development for Wilcox Professional Services. He previously owned MB Group, LLC, where he served as managing principal of the real estate consulting and management firm, which was acquired by Wilcox.
- Arizona State University, MBA
- Michigan State University, BS – Urban Planning
- American Planning Association
- Economic Club of Phoenix
- Homebuilders’ Association of Central Arizona
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Lambda Alpha International
- Urban Land Institute
- American Council of Engineering Companies – Chair and on the Executive Committee of the Land Development Coalition
Mark Miner, LEED AP
California Regional Manager, Land Development Business Unit
Mark is an expert in real estate development, including all phases of planning and project entitlement. He is LEED-certified, adept at managing political and governmental processes, and a certified mediator. Mark played an integral role in the merger of Hall & Foreman, Inc. with DEA in 2014.
A land use planner, Mark has more than 20 years of experience serving private, commercial, and public developers in Southern California. Projects that have benefited from his expertise include Channel Gateway in Marina del Rey, which consists of 500 apartments units, 1,500 condominium units, and 20,000 square feet of commercial space; Riverpark, a 2,200-unit condominium project adjacent to the Santa Clarita River and Antelope Valley Freeway; and Valley Vista, a project of 105 hillside homes in the Sunland/Tujunga area of California.
Registration and Education
- Leadership in Environmental & Energy Design New Construction Accredited Professional
- California State University at Northridge, BA – Communications/Marketing
- Building Industry Association, Past Board of Directors for Los Angeles/Ventura County, California
Jeffery S. Whitson, PLS
Director of Surveying and Geomatics
A professional land surveyor in 11 states, Jeff leads DEA’s Surveying and Geomatics team. He has 40 years of survey experience – including 30 years with DEA. Jeff’s in-depth knowledge of the full range of surveying methodologies and technologies serves public- and private-sector clients throughout the western United States.
Jeff directs a team of more than 150 professional and technical staff members who provide an array of solutions that range from conventional surveys to specialty surveys such as laser scanning and UAV services. His project work includes managing topographic, construction, and right-of-way surveys on large transportation projects as well as the coordination of contractors, engineers, and survey field staff on energy, water, and land development projects.
Registration and Education
- Professional Land Surveyor in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming
- Hood Community College, AS – Forest Management
- Professional Land Surveyors of Oregon
- Land Surveyors’ Association of Washington
- California Land Surveyors Association
- American Council of Engineering Companies
Mark Petrie, PE
Vice President, TriAxis Division
Mark is Vice President and Manager of TriAxis Engineering, a division of David Evans and Associates. Headquartered in Corvallis, Oregon, TriAxis specializes in consulting and engineering services for electric utilities.
Mark has more than 30 years of electrical utility design, engineering, and construction experience in the electric utility industry and renewable energy industry. His experience includes working more than 25 years at an electric utility and nearly 10 years as a consultant serving electric utility clients and renewable energy clients. He is experienced in transmission line design up to 500kV and distribution line design of all voltages.
Mark leads transmission line design projects, substation design projects, medium-voltage collection system design projects, and renewable energy development projects.
Registration and Education
- New Mexico State University, B.S. – Engineering Technology
- Registered Professional Engineer, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
- Industrial Advisory Committee, Engineering Technology Department, New Mexico State University
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Craig Sheahan, PE, PMP, LEED AP
Water and Environment Business Unit General Manager
Craig is a water resources engineer excelling at innovative planning and design solutions for integrated water, wastewater, and stormwater projects to meet clients’ needs and promote watershed health through a balance of gray and green infrastructure. His context-sensitive engineering design and project management experience is with crossfunctional teams, diverse clients, and ardent stakeholders.
At DEA, Craig manages a diverse staff of biologists, scientists, planners, environmental specialists, engineers, landscape architects, and GIS professionals. In addition to managing complex, multi-discipline projects, he is also proficient in the development and review of detailed engineering planning, design, and construction documents; project specifications, cost estimates, and life cycle analyses; technical report writing; and public communications / presentations.
Registration and Education
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, BS – Biological Systems Engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer, Alaska and Oregon
- LEED Accredited Professional
- Project Manager Professional
- Oregon Association of Clean Water Agencies – Stormwater Committee
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Environmental & Water Resources Institute
- American Public Works Association
- American Water Works Association
Director of Marketing
Gina directs DEA’s marketing and business development practices. Her responsibilities include identifying strategic growth opportunities; overseeing branding, integration, and marketing efforts; and implementing firm-wide business development initiatives to achieve DEA’s sales goals. Gina has specialized expertise in the emerging markets of asset management, risk management, and business consulting. She provides strategic leadership, direction, and insight to the firm’s business units, divisions, and center of excellence.
Before joining DEA, Gina was the business development manager of USA West & Pacific Operating Centers of GHD, Inc., a global, 6,200-person engineering firm. Her focus was on federal, environmental, water, transportation, energy, property, and building (MEP) markets. She also served as the national marketing manager for the energy business unit at AECOM.
- St. Mary’s College of California, Certificate in Business Management
- Society of Marketing Professionals, San Diego Chapter
- WTS San Diego Chapter
- American Public Works Association San Diego Chapter