Marine Services :: Precision Navigation and Nautical Charting
DEA Marine Services has an extensive history of providing marine surveying and consulting services in support of pinpoint navigation products and nautical charting throughout the continental United States. This work has included nautical charting surveys and consulting services for NOAA, USACE, port authorities, cruise lines, pilot associations, and the maritime industry.
DEA is integrating port survey and shoreline data into commercial ship pilot navigation software and Portable Pilot Units (PPUs) to improve safety of navigation on the Columbia River and for the Port of Long Beach. DEA is also working with charting authorities on hydrographic surveys of remote ports of call for Electronic Navigation Chart production.
DEA’s support of navigation and nautical charting is exemplified by its surveying services with NOAA Office of Coast Survey to help address the nation’s critical survey backlog for nautical charting, and through service as a liaison with the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO) and other charting authorities to address specific charting needs of the maritime industry.
DEA’s surveying experience under its current and previous contracts with NOAA includes:
- Multibeam and single-beam hydrographic surveys
- Side scan sonar surveys
- Mobile laser scanning
- Installation of water level stations
- Computation of tidal datums
- Acoustic Doppler current speed and direction studies
- Deployment of GNSS water level buoys
- Evaluation of VDatum and ellipsoidally referenced survey (ERS) techniques
- Extended 24-hour ship operations
- Airborne bathymetric Lidar operations.