Monroe Street Bridge
The historic Monroe Street Bridge was built in 1911. The 896-foot-long bridge spans the Spokane River downtown and connects the north and south sides of the city. Prior to its closure for construction, it carried more than 25,000 vehicles per day.
DEA was retained in 2000 to manage and design the $18 million rehabilitation project. Prior to final design, DEA completed a technical and economic feasibility study of restoring, rehabilitating, or modifying the existing bridge, a multi-span, cast-in-place concrete, open-spandrel-deck arch structure.
The new superstructure was designed to allow future widening of the bridge from four lanes to six and will extend the life of the bridge by 75 years.
2003 Honor Award, Historic Preservation, American Planning Association, Washington Chapter
2006 Gold Award for Engineering Excellence, ACEC Washington